How to cook Abalone in Jade Sauce
- 12 (2 1/2-inch) abalone
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 12 ounces fresh spinach, cleaned, stemmed and patted dry
- 1 bunch chives, cleaned and dried
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up (1/2 stick)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- TO PREPARE ABALONE: Rinse. Rub thin-bladed knife around inside edge of shell to shuck out meat. Discard visceral parts without trmming off dark edges, then place abalone in a resealable bag. With a wooden mallet, using sharp wrist movements, tap flesh repeatedly without ripping it apart, working in circular motion, starting from center, to obtain uniform thickness. Turn over and repeat procedure for other side Or you can place abalone on lower half of a tea towel, fold the other half of the towel over abalone and pound as directed.
- Thoroughly dry abalone. Rub with half of the ginger, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- TO PREPARE JADE SAUCE: In a blender or food processor, process spinach, chives, cilantro, basil and ginger in batches until finely chopped. Add chicken stock and process until fairly smooth. Add cream, salt and chili sauce; process until puréed. Place mixture in medium sauce pan over low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch with the cold water in a small bowl and mix until smooth. Add mixture to simmering sauce and stir until well-blended. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Preheat oven to 500°F (260°C). Place prepared abalone on baking sheet. Dot with butter and season with pepper to taste. Bake abalone until flesh turns white and is firm to the touch, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven.
- TO SERVE: Spoon Jade Sauce in a pool on dinner plate. Place abalone on top of sauce. Serve the Abalone in Jade Sauce immediately.
The Abalone in Jade Sauce recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Abalone in Jade Sauce serves/makes: 12 servings
The Abalone in Jade Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Abalone
Preparation Method: Baked