How to cook Adobong Tahong (Green Mussels Adobo)
- 2 pounds tahong (green mussels)
- 1 thumb ginger, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 head garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 - 3 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 - 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 - 2 red small chili pepper (siling labuyo), sliced
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the mussels, beard removed. Boil it with ginger in a pan until the shells are open. Remove the mussel meat.
- In medium heat, set a sauce pan with the cooking oil, then saute garlic and onion, until the onion is translucent.
- Add mussels, peppercorns and bay leaf. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, vinegar and red chili
- Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated (stirring occasionally).
- Season with salt according to taste, then turn-off the heat.
- Serve the The Filipino Adobong Tahong hot with steamed plain rice.
The Filipino Adobong Tahong
(Green Mussels Adobo) recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
(a Filipino dish cooked in vinegar and soy sauce) is a Filipino food favorite. May the recipe be done with pork, chicken or a combination of both. It could be also good with beef or fish. There are lots of variations in cooking adobo recipe.
In this recipe, instead of chicken or pork as the main ingredients, I prepared to used green mussels or tahong. This is another alternative method of cooking tahong, usually we cook mussels by boiling it with onion and ginger (mussel soup).
Tips on how to prepare mussels for cooking.
This recipe for Adobong Tahong (Green Mussels Adobo) serves/makes: 4 servings
The Filipino Adobong Tahong (Green Mussels Adobo) recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered