How to cook African Avocado and Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, flaked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 red bell pepper (cut in strips) or 1 can pimentos (cut in strips)
- 1/4 cup West African Pili-Pili Sauce
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and take out the egg yolks. Mash the egg yolks in a large bowl. Mix in the milk and stir until it forms a smooth paste. Add 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, the sugar and the salt. Mix well. Pour in the vegetable oil and the olive oil.
- Stir in the rest of the lime juice.
- In a separate bowl, place the chopped egg whites and the flaked smoked salmon. Make sure all skin and bones are removed.
- Add the smoked salmon and egg whites to the sauce toss gently and thoroughly.
- Refrigerate mixture and then just before serving, cut avocados in half, take out seeds and all the brown fibers. Spoon the salmon mixture into avocado halves and top with either red pepper strips or pimento strips. Spoon the hot sauce over the dish and serve immediately.
The African Avocado and Smoked Salmon recipe is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where it is known as "Senegalese Quiche".
This recipe is a great idea for appetizer.
Feel free using another hot sauce instead of West African Pili-Pili Sauce to serve over the African Avocado and Smoked Salmon dish.
This recipe for African Avocado and Smoked Salmon serves/makes: 4
The African Avocado and Smoked Salmon recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Salmon
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked