How to cook African Salt Cod and Peanut Curry
- 2 pounds salt cod
- 1 large firm ripe tomato
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras type
- 1 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, pulverized in a blender, or put through a grinder
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Starting a day ahead, place the cod in a glass, enameled or stainless-steel bowl. Cover it with cold water and soak for at least 12 hours, changing the water three or four times.
- Drain the cod, rinse under cold running water, place it in a saucepan and add enough fresh water to cover the fish by 1-inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. (Taste the water. If it seems excessively salty, drain, cover with fresh water and bring to a boil again). Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when prodded gently with a fork. Drain thoroughly. With a small knife, remove any skin and bones, and cut the fish into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Drop the tomato into a pan of boiling water and let it boil briskly for about 10 seconds. Run cold water over it and, with a small, sharp knife, peel it. Then cut out the stem and chop the tomato fine.
- In a heavy 10 to 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Drop in the onions and, stirring frequently, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are a delicate brown. Watch carefully for any sign of burning and regulate the heat accordingly. Add the curry powder and stir over low heat for 1 minute. Then add the tomato and, stirring from time to time, cook briskly until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated and the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape almost solidly in a spoon.
- Combine the pulverized peanuts and the 1 1/2 cups boiling water in a bowl and stir to a creamy consistency. Stir the peanut mixture into the tomato sauce and, when it is well blended, add the cod and the pepper. Stirring gently, bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve the Salt Cod and Peanut Curry at once from a heated bowl or platter accompanied, if you like, by hot boiled rice.
The African Salt Cod and Peanut Curry recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for African Salt Cod and Peanut Curry serves/makes: 6
The African Salt Cod and Peanut Curry recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered