1 whole trout
How to cook Alder Smoked Trout
- 1 whole trout (about 4 pounds), cleaned
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup non-iodized salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pans of alder chips, to smoke
- In a large stainless steel or glass bowl, combine the water, wine, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Place the whole trout in the brine and weigh down with a plate to completely submerge the trout. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Remove the trout from the brine and rinse lightly. Prop the body cavity open with two toothpicks. Place the trout on a rack and allow to air dry for 1 hour.
- Lightly oil the racks in the smoker. Place the trout on the racks. Use 2 pans of alder chips. Smoke the trout for about 6 to 8 hours depending on the thickness of the trout.
The Alder Smoked Trout recipe easy to prepare and so good! Usually this dish is served on Christmas Day.
This recipe for Alder Smoked Trout serves/makes: 1 whole trout
The Alder Smoked Trout recipe is adopted from The Lewis & Clark Cookbook by Leslie Mansfield 2002.
Main Ingredient: Trout
Preparation Method: Smoked