4 - 6
How to cook Algerian Spiced Striped Bass Tagine
- 2 pounds wild striped bass or bream fillets, with skin
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro, heavy stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 1/4 cup pitted black Moroccan olives
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Place 4 tablespoons olive oil in blender with cilantro, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, anise, cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- Cut fish in 4 or 6 portions. Season with salt and pepper. Place, skin side down in dish, and coat with mixture. Marinate 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 300°F. Place tomato halves in tagine or in baking dish. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt, and bake 1 1/2 hours, then chop coarsely.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add onions and peppers, and saute about 5 minutes. Add eggplant, and saute 5 minutes longer. Add tomatoes and olives. Season to taste.
- Place mixture in tagine or in baking dish, or leave in skillet if it is ovenproof and has a cover. Place fish on top of vegetables, skin side down. Cover tagine, baking dish or skillet. Place in oven to bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or simmer on top of stove over low heat, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish the Algerian Spiced Striped Bass Tagine with cilantro and serve.
The Spiced Striped Bass Tagine is an African delicious dish from Algeria.
A tajine or tagine is the name of a type of North African dish (Algeria, Morocco, Libya and Tunisia) as well as the special pot in which they are cooked.
This recipe for Algerian Spiced Striped Bass Tagine serves/makes: 4 - 6
The recipe Algerian Spiced Striped Bass Tagine adopted from The New York Times
Main Ingredient: Bass
Preparation Method: Baked