6 as part of tapas
How to cook Almejas en Salsa Verde
- 2 pounds pipis (clams, vongole or cockles)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour, mixed to a paste with 1 teaspoon cold water
- Chopped coriander, extra, for garnish
- To clean the pipis, plunge them into water and toss vigorously, change the water and repeat.
- With the tap running, rinse pipis handful by handful, rubbing the last sand particles from the ridges. Set aside.
- Heat the wine in a fry pan. When wine is bubbling, add pipis.
- Cover and steam on a high flame, shaking occasionally to help pipis open.
- Remove pipis as they open and place in a bowl.
- When all have opened, strain cooking liquid through a colander into the bowl. Leave to cool.
- Wipe out the fry pan and add olive oil and chopped garlic.
- Just before the garlic changes colour, add chopped coriander and cook for a few seconds.
- Add juices from the pipis, return to a simmer and add the cornflour mixture. Stir until sauce thickens to avoid lumps. If sauce is too thick a little extra water or white wine can be added to achieve desired consistency.
- Mix pipis through the sauce.
- Serve immediately with a little chopped coriander for decoration and plenty of crusty bread for dipping.
The Almejas en Salsa Verde (Pipis in Green Sauce) recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
Pipis can also be removed from their shells to serve, if preferred. It is essential that pipis are purged prior to use by soaking in salted water for several hours. This is done to remove any sand and sediment which would otherwise give a 'gritty' texture.
are Spanish style appetizers, which are served in small portions and eaten informally in bars before a hearty lunchtime meal or at the end of a workday.
This recipe for Almejas en Salsa Verde serves/makes: 6 as part of tapas
The Almejas en Salsa Verde recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Steamed