6 crab cakes
How to cook Amaranth Crab Cakes
- 8 ounces fresh crab meat
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper, small dice
- 1/2 red onion, small dice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 lime,
- 3/4 cups cooked amaranth
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, mix the egg, diced peppers and onion, hot sauce, Old Bay seasoning, salt, mayonnaise, lime juice, and lime zest. Stir until everything is incorporated.
- Gently fold in the cooked amaranth and crabmeat until combined.
- Sprinkle whole wheat flour and blend in to form a cohesive dough.
- Preheat a saute pan with a splash of olive oil and preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Scoop the crab cake mixture onto the hot saute pan and cook on both sides, gently flipping after the first side is golden brown.
- Once both sides are golden, bake for 15 minutes.
- Bon appetit!
The Amaranth Crab Cakes
recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
This recipe for classic crab cakes, with a healthy twist. Normally crab cakes are breaded and filled with breadcrumbs and panko, but in this recipe, we’re using the ancient grain Amaranth.
Amaranth has no gluten, so it must be mixed with wheat to make leavened bread. It is popular in cereals, bread, muffins, crackers, and pancakes.
Health bonus: Amaranth has a high level of a complete protein; its protein contains lysine, an amino acid missing or negligible in many grains.
This recipe for Amaranth Crab Cakes serves/makes: 6 crab cakes
The Amaranth Crab Cakes recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed