How to cook Anchovy with Celery Salad
- 1 can anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly-ground black pepper; to taste
- Separate the celery into stalks and wash them well, particularly the bottoms where the dirt loves to hide. Cut the celery into 2-inch matchsticks: Begin by cutting each stalk into 4-inch pieces. Cut each piece lengthwise into slender sticks. Gather a bunch of sticks together and cut them in half. Place the matchsticks in a bowl of ice water to freshen until you're ready to use them.
- To make the sauce in a mortar, pound the garlic and the salt to a smooth paste; this will take about a minute. Start with a lesser amount of garlic and then add more as necessary. Add the anchovies and pound them to a paste as well. Add the vinegar and stir with the pestle until it is smooth. Gradually add the olive oil, starting with a thin stream, stirring with the pestle, until the sauce is smooth. Add a grinding of pepper.
- Dip a celery stick in the sauce and taste it. If you think it needs more garlic, mince another clove with a knife and add it to the sauce, grinding with the pestle until smooth.
- Drain the celery sticks and pat them dry with a paper towel. Place them in a salad bowl and add the anchovy sauce, starting with 2 tablespoons. Toss well to distribute the sauce equally among the sticks. Taste and add more sauce as needed. Serve the Anchovy with Celery Salad at room temperature.
This recipe for Anchovy with Celery Salad serves/makes: 6
The Anchovy with Celery Salad recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Anchovy
Preparation Method: Salad