How to cook Armenian Kibbe Semak (Fish Kibbe or Kufte)
- 2 pounds sea bass (or any white firm-fleshed fish) fillets
- 1 3/4 cups bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons each grated orange rind and lemon rind
- 1/2 cup olive oil Filling:
- 1/ 2 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, finely minced
- 4 ounces pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Prepare the filling by heating the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the onions and saute until golden. Stir in the pine nuts. Saute 5 minutes longer. Season with the basil. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the bulgur with the water for about 10 minutes.
- Grind the sea bass fillets with the one onion. Add the bulgur, salt, pepper and orange and lemon rinds.
- Dip your hands into cold water and knead until you have a soft mixture.
- Grease a 6x12-inch baking pan with quarter cup of the oil.
- Spread half the fish mixture over the bottom of the pan. Smooth the surface.
- Top with the onion-nut mixture. Spread remaining fish mixture over the filling. Smooth the surface.
- Cut into desired shape and size. Pour the remaining oil over the top.
- Bake at 400°F for 40 - 50 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Cool. Serve the Kibbe Semak cold.
Kibbe is a Middle Eastern dish made from a mixture of spiced meat or fish and bulgur wheat. It is typically served as an appetizer.
This recipe for Armenian Kibbe Semak (Fish Kibbe or Kufte) serves/makes: 6
The Armenian Kibbe Semak (Fish Kibbe or Kufte) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Bass
Preparation Method: Baked