4 - 6
How to cook Armenian Red Caviar Salad (Tarama Salata)
- 1 jar (4 ounces) red caviar (tarama)
- 5 slices white bread or 1 potato, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 pint whipping cream, whipped
- Juice of 3 or more lemons
- Place the tarama in a mixing bowl or food processor fitted with the steel blade. Set aside.
- If you are using bread, soak the slices in water squeeze out excess water.
- Combine the oil, lemon juice and onion.
- Beat the tarama adding mashed potato or bread alternately with the lemon-oil mixture. Process until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Carefully fold in the whipped cream. Taste for seasoning.
- Refrigerate. When ready to serve, fill pastry bag (fitted with a star-shaped tip) with the mixture and press out into a serving bowl in an attractive design.
- Serve with Greek bread or unsalted round crackers.
Tarama Salata is a popular no-cook / no-bake Armenian appetizer made with fish roe (red caviar), olive oil and lemon juice. Tarama is usually served with toasted bread and garnished with cured black olives, parsley or celery leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. It is similar to Greek taramosalata.
This recipe for Armenian Red Caviar Salad (Tarama Salata) serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Armenian Red Caviar Salad (Tarama Salata) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Salad