4 - 6
How to cook Armenian Stuffed Mussels
- 3 pounds large mussels
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup rice, Basmati*
- 2 cups water
- Place the mussels in salted water and soak for two hours. Scrub the mussels with a stiff brush and remove the beards.
- Open mussels with a knife and flush with fresh water.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil until translucent to golden.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except mussels) and mix well.
- Now gently open a mussel shell and add a teaspoon of the rice mixture into the shell with the mussel and then close the shell. (Do not overfill so as to give the rice room to expand.)
- Place the mussels side by side and on top of each other in a 3-inch deep baking pan or casserole, add water and cover with a plate.
- Bake in a 300°F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
The Armenian name for the Stuffed Mussels recipe is Midia Dolma
This mixture can also be used to stuff cabbage or grape leaves.
*Basmati is a variety of long grain rice, grown in India and Pakistan notable for its fragrance and delicate, nuanced flavor. The grains of basmati rice are longer than most other types of rice.
This recipe for Armenian Stuffed Mussels serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Armenian Stuffed Mussels recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Baked