2 - 3 servings
How to cook Asian Steamed Porgy with Ginger and Scallions
- 1 large whole porgy, or medium red snapper, or any other sweet-fleshed fish you like. The most important part is that it is as fresh as possible.
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 10 matchbook strips of fresh-cut ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup scallions, cut into long thin strips, whites only
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Chinese cooking wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parsley and fresh scallions for garnish
- Place the fish in salt water and let it soak for 30 minutes. Wash fish well; rinse and pat dry.
- Score the fish three times on each side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the slices with the ginger strips. Place the fish in a deep, heat-proof plate. Pour the Chinese cooking wine into the bottom of the plate. Sprinkle the scallions on top.
- Boil a couple of inches of water in the steamer. Then put the plate in and cover. Cook about 10-12 minutes. (Until fish is white and starting to flake.)
- While the fish is cooking, heat the oil to very hot, but not smoking.
- Use a wide spatula to carefully remove the fish. Put it on a deep platter. Pour the cooking juices around it.
- Slowly pour the hot oil over the fish. (It should crackle a little); then pour the soy sauce over the fish.
- Top with fresh scallions if you like.
- Serve the Asian Steamed Porgy with Ginger and Scallions hot with steamed white rice. The sauce is wonderful.
The Asian Steamed Porgy with Ginger and Scallions is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
You will need a big steamer for this. (Or a wok with a rack for steaming). The steamer should be wide enough to put a whole fish on a plate inside and still have room for the steam to come up around the plate. You can buy these at most Asian grocery stores.
(If you don't have a steamer, it might work to bake it covered in the oven, I haven't tried that, though.)
, also known as scup, is a lean fish with a coarse texture and delicate flavor, consisting of a large family of fish found in temperate and tropical waters all over the world.
This recipe for Asian Steamed Porgy with Ginger and Scallions serves/makes: 2 - 3 servings
The Asian Steamed Porgy with Ginger and Scallions recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Porgy
Preparation Method: Steamed
Cuisine: Other Asian
(more Other Asian