4 - 6 servings
How to cook Asian Style Crispy Fried Smelts
- 2 pounds smelts, cleaned and butterflied*
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used Kikkoman soy sauce)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon blend of ground ginger, freshly ground star anise and red pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Olive oil for frying
- Fresh vegetables to garnish
- For Sweet and Spicy Asian Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rosehip syrup or honey
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 green onion, sliced (optional)
- To prepare Asian dipping sauce whisk all sauce ingredients together.
- Pat dry the butterflied fish with paper towels.
- Beat eggs with black pepper and soy sauce. Mix breadcrumbs with spicy blend.
- Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan.
- Dip fish into egg mixture, then coat with flour breadcrumbs.
- Fry until nicely golden brown on both sides.
- Place the fried fish on kitchen paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve the fried smelts immediately with sweet and spicy Asian dipping sauce and fresh vegetables.
- Bon appetit!
The Asian Style Crispy Fried Smelts
recipe very easy to cook and very tasty too!
*How to butterfly smelts:
- Using scissors or a knife, cut along the belly from head to tail and remove the entrails.
- Rinse the fish under running cold water.
- Lift the backbone away from the flesh.
- Pull the bone gently away from the flesh.
- At its tail cut off with scissors.
- If possible, remove the small bones with some tweezers.
- Spread the fish so that it becomes flat.
This recipe for Asian Style Crispy Fried Smelts serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Asian Style Crispy Fried Smelts recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed