How to cook Asparagus Stuffed Flounder
- 6 flounder or sole fillets (4 to 6 oz each)
- 18 asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup milk, skim or low-fat
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, -shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste, if desired
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Steam the asparagus until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Saute the onion until tender in 1 teaspoon of the butter in a non-stick skillet. Sprinkle the onion evenly over the fillets. Lay 3 asparagus spears crosswise on each fillet and roll the fillet around them.
- Secure with skewers or toothpicks and arrange them in a single layer in a greased shallow baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons of butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook the roux, stirring, for a minute. Gradually add the milk and continue cooking the sauce, stirring, until it begins to thicken. Stir in the cheese, salt, black pepper, and a dash or two of cayenne.
- Pour the sauce over the fish rolls and sprinkle them with a little nutmeg.
- Bake the fish rolls in a preheated 350°F oven for about 20 minutes.
This recipe for Asparagus Stuffed Flounder serves/makes: 6
The Asparagus Stuffed Flounder recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Flounder/Plaice
Preparation Method: Baked