How to cook Asparagus and Crab Meat Soup
- 8 ounces fresh or canned lump crab meat, picked over and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 jar (15 ounces) white asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch sections with canning liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon shredded coriander
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Combine the broth, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, the sugar and salt in a 3-quart soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the shallots and garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the shallots and garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the crab meat, the remaining 2 teaspoons fish sauce and black pepper to taste. Stir-fry over high heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir gently until the soup thickens and is clear. While the soup is actively boiling, add the egg and stir gently. Continue to stir for about 1 minute. Add the crab meat mixture and asparagus with its canning liquid cook gently until heated through.
- Transfer the soup to a heated tureen. Sprinkle on the coriander, scallion and freshly ground black pepper.
Vietnamese name for the Asparagus and Crab Meat Soup recipe is Mang Tay Nau Cua
This recipe for Asparagus and Crab Meat Soup serves/makes: 4
The Asparagus and Crab Meat Soup recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew