How to cook Atlantic Clam Chowder
- 1 quart shucked clams (add water if too dry)
- 1/3 pound salt pork
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 quart of milk, scalded (may use half cream for thicker soup)
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- Salt and pepper
- Drain and chop clams, reserving liquid.
- Fry salt pork in a heavy pan until all fat is rendered add onions and celery and brown lightly.
- Add butter melt.
- Blend in flour and stir constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add clams, potatoes, clam liquid, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- If desired, add fish and/or shellfish to make seafood chowder.
This recipe for Atlantic Clam Chowder serves/makes: 4
The Atlantic Clam Chowder recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew