How to cook Australian Baked Marron Mornay
- 3/4 pound cooked marron meat (see recipe below)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium green capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 10 ounces milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs
Cooked Marron Meat Ingredients:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the salt, capsicum, and onion. Cook gently until tender.
- Blend in the flour. Gradually add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add the pepper, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and the marron meat.
- Mix the grated cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over top.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 20 minutes or until browned on top.
How to cook Cooked Marron Meat
- You will need about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of live marron to get 3/4 pound of meat.
- Bring water to the boil and add about 1 tablespoon of salt for each quart of water.
- Add enough marron so that there is at least 1 inch of water covering them and return water to the boil.
- Boil for 4 minutes then remove marron and immerse in cold water until cool enough to handle.
Marron is a name given to large freshwater crayfish found in the south-west corner of Australia. The species have been identified as Margaret River (hairy) marron (Cherax tenuimanus) and smooth marron. The hairy marron occupies a narrow range within the southwestern biogeographical region of Margaret River. Marron make excellent eating, very similar in taste to lobster.
The taste and texture of marron is so marvelous that it is best not to overwhelm them with strong flavors.
If you don't have Marron you can use lobster, redclaw or Moreton Bay bug in this recipe.
Tips on how to kill and prepare for cooking live lobster (marron or redclaw).
This recipe for Australian Baked Marron Mornay serves/makes: 2
The Australian Baked Marron Mornay recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crayfish
Preparation Method: Baked