How to cook Avocado Toasts with Tomatoes and Shrimp
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cocktail tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices of your favorite rustic bread (I prefer a good seeded country loaf.)
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- For the Garlic Shrimp:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound uncooked wild shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove and the pit and discard. Scoop the avocado from its skin and place it in a small bowl. Mash the avocado with 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt to taste. Press plastic wrap to the surface of your avocado to keep it from browning, and briefly set aside.
- Moving on to the tomatoes! Brush the cut side of the tomatoes with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a medium pan/skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the tomatoes cut side down and let them cook undisturbed (don’t move them or they won’t get that awesome char) for 4-5 minutes until charred. Remove them from the pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. When hot, add the shrimp and cook for two minutes on the first side. Add the garlic to the pan and flip the shrimp Cook for 2 minutes more until the shrimp have turned pink and opaque. (Be careful not to burn the garlic!)
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and place them in a bowl. Keep the pan on the heat and add the lemon juice. Cook for about 15 seconds, scraping up the garlic and any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the juice over the shrimp, add the chopped parsley and toss to coat.
- Now it’s time to fry the eggs. Heat a medium pan over medium heat (you can just wipe out the one from the tomatoes). Add a little olive oil or butter to the pan if it’s not non-stick. Add the eggs to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny.
- While the eggs are cooking grill or toast your bread. I like to brush the bread with a little olive oil and throw it in a grill pan for a minute or two on each side until fancy grill marks appear.
- To assemble: Spread half of the avocado mixture on each piece of toast in an even layer. Top each piece with 3 charred tomatoes and half of the garlic shrimp. Top with fried eggs, sprinkle with shaved Parmesan (if using), and serve immediately.
The Avocado Toasts with Tomatoes and Shrimp
is a spectacular appetizer or breakfast - makes simple and easy.
Believe me, an open-faced toasted sandwich would be pretty tasty. These were really quick to put together. The filling would make a delicious party dip with crackers and on the toast, it makes a great appetizer or easy sandwich.
This recipe for Avocado Toasts with Tomatoes and Shrimp serves/makes: 2 toasts
The Avocado Toasts with Tomatoes and Shrimp recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Appetizer