How to cook Bahamian Spicy Conch Fritters
- 1 pound conch (sea snails) meat
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/3 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds OR 1 tablespoon finely chopped onions
- 2 small fresh hot chilies, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped OR 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Peanut oil for deep frying
- Put the conch meat through a meat grinder, using the coarse disk, or pound the meat with a mallet and cut it into very small pieces.
- Beat the egg and add the milk. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt, and add to the egg mixture. Add the conch, celery seeds or onion, and chopped pepper or hot pepper sauce.
- Heat the oil to 375°F (190°C). Drop the conch mixture by the tablespoonful into the oil. Deep fry the fritters until they brown on all sides - 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the fritters on absorbent paper.
- Serve the Bahamian Spicy Conch Fritters hot, accompanied by tartar sauce or cocktail sauce if desired.
The Bahamian Spicy Conch Fritters recipe easy to cook and so good!
(Konk) is a common name which is applied to a number of different species of medium-sized to large sea snails. Second in popularity only to the escargot for edible snails, the "meat" of the conch is used as food, either eaten raw, as in salads, or cooked, as in fritters, chowders, gumbos, and burgers.
This recipe for Bahamian Spicy Conch Fritters serves/makes: 4 servings
The Bahamian Spicy Conch Fritters recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Snails
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried