How to cook Bahia Salt Cod (Bacalhau a Baiana)
- 1 pound salt cod
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 sweet peppers, 1 red, 1 green, seeded and chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and pureed
- 1 cup hot water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dende (palm) oil
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup scallions, chopped, using white and green parts
- Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 12 hours or more, changing the water frequently. Drain the cod and remove any skin and bones. Pat the fish dry with paper towels and cut it into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion, garlic, and peppers until the onion and peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cod, and hot water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Season to taste with salt, if necessary, pepper, and dende oil. Stir in the coconut milk and the scallions and heat through without letting the mixture boil.
The Bahia Salt Cod (Bacalhau a Baiana) recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
is one of the 26 states of Brazil, and is located in the northeastern part of the country on the Atlantic coast.
This recipe for Bahia Salt Cod (Bacalhau a Baiana) serves/makes: 4
The Bahia Salt Cod (Bacalhau a Baiana) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
Cuisine: South American
(more South American