3 - 4 servings
How to cook Baked Bream Stuffed with Bacon and Tomatoes
- 1 whole (about 1 3/4 to 2 pounds) bitilya (emperor bream), scaled and gutted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 handful fresh sweet basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Using a very sharp knife, slit the back of the fish to create a pocket (you can ask the fish vendor to do this, if you prefer). Sprinkle the fish, inside and out, with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan and add the bacon. Cook just until a little fat is rendered.
- Add the tomatoes and basil, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, just until the leaves wilt.
- Cut a sheet of non-stick baking paper large enough to enfold the fish in. Cut 2 sheets of aluminum foil to go under and over the fish. Place the non-stick baking paper on top of one sheet of foil. Place the fish on the baking paper. Open up the slit and fill with the bacon mixture.
- Fold over the baking paper to cover the fish.
- Place the other sheet of foil on top then crimp together the top and bottom sheets of foil to seal in the fish. (Note that if you use foil only with no baking paper, the fish skin might stick on the foil. That’s why I took the precaution of wrapping the fish in baking paper first before wrapping it in foil.)
- Bake the fish at 375°F (190°C) for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cut through the wrappings (careful, the steam that will burst from the packet is really hot!) then cut the wrappings around the fish so that everything looks neat. Lift the wrappings on which the fish rests and transfer to a platter.
- Serve the Baked Bream Stuffed with Bacon and Tomatoes hot with freshly steamed white rice. (No dipping sauce required.)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
The Baked Bream Stuffed with Bacon and Tomatoes is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
This recipe for Baked Bream Stuffed with Bacon and Tomatoes serves/makes: 3 - 4 servings
The Baked Bream Stuffed with Bacon and Tomatoes recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Bream
Preparation Method: Baked