6 - 8
How to cook Baked Carp with Pine Nuts (Dag Afuye)
- 1 whole carp (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 125 ml/4 fl oz olive oil
- 40 g/1-1/2 oz pine nuts
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 1 green chilli pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley sprigs, to garnish
- Scale and clean the fish if necessary, leaving the head attached. Rinse and wipe dry with kitchen paper. Remove the fins if desired and cut three shallow diagonal slashes in the skin on each side. Rub the fish with the turmeric, sprinkle with salt and allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add the pine nuts and cook for about 2 minutes, until golden brown, stirring often. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until transparent, stirring often. Add the chilli pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Spread half the onion mixture in a large oven-proof dish. Put the fish on top, sprinkle with lemon juice and cover with the remaining onion and parsley. Spread the tomatoes evenly over the fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-60 minutes, depending on size, until the fish flakes when tested at the thickest part with a knife point, basting occasionally with the pan juices (add a little water if necessary to prevent scorching).
- To serve, lift the fish onto a warm serving platter and spoon the onion and tomato mixture on top. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve hot.
The Baked Carp with Pine Nuts (Dag Afuye) recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Baked Carp with Pine Nuts (Dag Afuye) serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Baked Carp with Pine Nuts (Dag Afuye) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Baked