4 - 6 servings
How to cook Baked Cheesy Walleye Fillets
- 4 - 6 walleye or saugeye fillets (about 6 ounces each), skin removed
- 10 ounces fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed soda crackers
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spread asparagus evenly over bottom of 10x6 inch baking dish. Arrange fillets, slightly overlapping, on top of asparagus. Set aside.
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons margarine over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Blend in milk. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until mixture thickens and bubbles, stirring constantly. Add cheese, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat. Stir until cheese is melted. Spoon cheese sauce mixture evenly over fish fillets. In 1-quart saucepan, melt remaining 3 tablespoons margarine over medium heat.
- Remove from heat. Add cracker crumbs, stirring to coat. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over cheese sauce.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until sauce is hot and bubbly and fish is firm and opaque and just begins to flake.
- Let the Baked Cheesy Walleye Fillets stand for 10 minutes before serving.
The Baked Cheesy Walleye Fillets is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Baked Cheesy Walleye Fillets serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Baked Cheesy Walleye Fillets recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Walleye
Preparation Method: Baked