How to cook Baked Crab Meat au Gratin
- 3/4 pound crab meat
- 1/2 cup butter, not margarine, divided use
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 cup crumbled saltine crackers, divided use
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sauté onions in 1/4 cup butter in a large, heavy skillet until golden. Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in the flour.
- Slowly whisk in scalded milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour into a lightly greased, oven-proof casserole dish and stir in sherry, salt, pepper, crab, 1/2 the crackers, and 1/2 the cheese. Sprinkle remaining crackers and cheese over the top. Dot the top with pieces of the remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
The Baked Crab Meat au Gratin recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
adapted from French cuisine is a type of casserole dish that is covered with Bechamel sauce or Mornay sauce, topped with buttered breadcrumbs and/or grated cheese and either baked or broiled, then served in its baking dish with a golden crust.
This recipe for Baked Crab Meat au Gratin serves/makes: 6 servings
The Baked Crab Meat au Gratin recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Baked