How to cook Baked Fresh Sardines
- 2 pounds (1 kg) fresh sardines
- 2 fresh lemons
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 fresh thyme sprig
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 mL) dry white wine
- 1 fresh parsley sprig
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Rinse sardines under cold, running water; clean and remove any scale from sardines.
- Cut-off sardine heads.
- Press juice of 1/2 a lemon; thinly slice all remaining lemons.
- Sprinkle sardines with lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Brush an oven-safe dish with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and wipe dry thyme sprig.
- Arrange thyme sprig and lemon slices over the bottom of prepared dish.
- Arrange sardines, side-by-side on top of lemon slices.
- Generously salt and pepper.
- Pour in dry white wine and remaining olive oil.
- Rinse and chop parsley sprig.
- Mix together chopped parsley and breadcrumbs; sprinkle mixture all over sardines.
- Bake into preheated oven for 10 minutes, sprinkling mixture once or twice with cooking liquids.
- Sprinkle mixture once or twice with cooking liquids.
- Serve, really hot.
Serve with a rose wine from Provence, such as Cotes-de-Provence or better, Bellet or Bandol.
This recipe for Baked Fresh Sardines serves/makes: 4
The Baked Fresh Sardines recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Sardines
Preparation Method: Baked