How to cook Baked Mussels in Butter-Egg Sauce
- 4 dozen small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Madeira or dry white wine
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs, separated, yolks lightly beaten, whites stiffly beaten
- In a large kettle over high heat, bring to a boil the water, wine, onion, parsley, bay leaf and allspice, with a little salt and pepper added. Add the mussels, cover the kettle tightly, and steam the mussels for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover the kettle and, as the mussel shells open, remove the mussels to a shallow, buttered baking dish. Discard the shells, but save the cooking liquid and strain it. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- To cook the Butter-Egg Sauce: Melt the butter, stir in the flour smoothly, then add 1 cup of the strained mussel liquid. Add the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and a little salt and pepper. Let the sauce boil a moment longer, remove it from the heat and let it cool. Stir the egg yolks into the almost-cooled sauce. Then fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the sauce over the mussels in the baking dish and sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake the mussels in a preheated 375°F (190°) oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
The Baked Mussels in Butter-Egg Sauce recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Baked Mussels in Butter-Egg Sauce serves/makes: 4 servings
The Baked Mussels in Butter-Egg Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Baked