How to cook Baked Shad Roe Ring
- 1 raw shad roe
- 1 onion, grated
- 4 egg yolks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Hollandaise sauce, to serve
- Bacon, fried crisp, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mash shad roe and mix with onion, egg yolks and salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Beat heavy cream until stiff. Fold into the raw mixture, not both at the same time however; first the egg whites, and the cream folded in at the last.
- Put in a buttered ring mold in a warm pan of water and place in a 350°F (180°C) oven.
- Bake until set, or until a knife ed comes out clean.
- Serve the Baked Shad Roe Ring with Hollandaise sauce on a platter with plenty of crisp bacon, either crumbled or left whole, decorating the ring.
The Baked Shad Roe Ring recipe easy to cook and so good!
The roe (eggs) from shad is considered choice, on the same culinary plane as caviar, although used somewhat differently. In addition to being used for hors d'oeuvres and garnishes, shad roe can be sauteed, baked in sauce, broiled and fried. It was traditionally served with scrambled eggs as a breakfast treat.
This recipe for Baked Shad Roe Ring serves/makes: 6 servings
The Baked Shad Roe Ring recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shad
Preparation Method: Baked