How to cook Baked Tilapia
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon grounded black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Prepare a medium sized baking dish by coating its bottom with roughly 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
- Pour the rest of the olive oil, 1/2 cup, into a small bowl and mix it with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and tomato paste.
- Place the tilapia fillets in the baking dish. The skin side should be up.
- Use a spatula to gently spread the mix from the bowl over the fillets. A large part of the paste should be used to cover the centers of the fillets.
- Slice one green bell pepper into thin slices.
- Slice one large onion into slices.
- Place the green bell pepper and the onion around the tilapia fillets.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The baked tilapia is finished when you can easily flake it using a fork.
- Remove the baked tilapia from the oven and place 1 tablespoon of butter on top of each fillet.
- Set the oven to broil and broil the baked tilapia during 5-7 minutes. The butter should be fully melted and just turning slightly brown when you remove the dish from the oven.
Baked Tilapia is a very affordable dish and it can be ready within 40 minutes, of which just 20 minutes are used for preparation. The rest of the time the baked tilapia is cooking in the oven.
This recipe is not only suitable for making baked tilapia you can use it to prepare almost any type of white fish fillets as long as the fish is mild in flavor and firm-fleshed.
This recipe for Baked Tilapia serves/makes: 4
The Baked Tilapia recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Tilapia
Preparation Method: Baked