How to cook Baked Whole Shad Stuffed with Crab Meat and Roe
- 1 whole American shad, dressed (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 pound shad or herring roe
- 1/2 pound crab meat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 strips bacon
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and dry whole American shad thoroughly place in shallow, foil lined baking pan.
- Open shad. Mash shad or herring roe, spread over bottom part of shad.
- Remove cartilage from crab meat, spread over roe.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, dot with butter.
- Close shad over stuffing sprinkle top of fish lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place onion slices, then bacon strips on top of shad, loosely cover with foil.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 45-50 minutes. (Be careful not to overcook.)
The Baked Whole Shad Stuffed with Crab Meat and Roe is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
This recipe for Baked Whole Shad Stuffed with Crab Meat and Roe serves/makes: 8
The Baked Whole Shad Stuffed with Crab Meat and Roe recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shad
Preparation Method: Baked