How to cook Baked Whole Trevally with Coconut Rice
- 1 whole trevally, cleaned and gutted
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 1 inch cube fresh ginger, finely sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 shallots cut into quarters
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 7 ounces olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Coconut Rice (see the recipe below)
Coconut Rice Ingredients:
- Preheat the oven at 390°F (200°C).
- Drizzle a generous glug of olive oil into a deep ceramic oven dish (a lasagne dish is perfect) and add it to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to let the oil heat up, then remove it from the oven.
- Lay the whole fish into the dish and throw in the shallots. Add the chili, ginger, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the zest evenly over the fish and squeeze over the juice. Finally, drizzle the remaining olive oil all over the fish, making sure it is lightly covered and then heap over the chopped parsley.
- Place the dish in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. You'll know the fish is done when the eye of the fish become opaque.
- Serve the baked trevally with the coconut rice in a separate bowl garnished with a few parsley leaves.
How to cook Coconut Rice
- 4 ounces long grain rice rice (I used basmatic)
- 7 ounces water
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Bring water to the boil in a small saucepan and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the creamy part of the coconut milk (don't use the liquid) and then add the rice.
- Cover the pan and leave to for around 10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
The Baked Whole Trevally with Coconut Rice recipe is so simple to execute, yet tastes so awesome!
This is a seriously easy dish to make. Even if you’ve never baked a fish before or handled a whole fish, you’ll be able to pull this one off.
The thing I love about baking fish whole is the fact that there is such little prep time involved in doing it. Not only that but the fish becomes so tender and just flakes apart when you run your fork through it.
I used trevally in this recipe, but you could use any fish really. Another that I regularly bake is sea bass or sea bream, so feel free to experiment here.
This recipe for Baked Whole Trevally with Coconut Rice serves/makes: 2 servings
The Baked Whole Trevally with Coconut Rice recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Baked