How to cook Banana Wrapped Salay-Salay Fish
- 2 pounds (about 12 pieces) salay-salay fish (Yellowstripe Scad), cleaned and gutted
- 2 tablespoons tamarind powder
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely-chopped
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and julienned
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash fish under cold, running water and drain well. Season with tamarind powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- In bowl, combine shallots, ginger, garlic and olive oil.
- Arrange about 2 to 3 pieces of fish on a piece of banana leaf and top with onion mixture. old leaves to enclose fish and tie banana packet with kitchen twine to tightly enclose.
- Place banana packets in a thick-bottomed pot and add water.
- In low heat, cook for about 20 to 30 minutes or until fish is tender and fully cooked. Remove fish from banana wrap and serve hot with white rice and dipping sauce of choice.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
The Banana Wrapped Salay-Salay Fish recipe easy to cook and so good!
The salay-salay comes out super moist, flavorful and just absolutely divine with tamarind, you’ll be eating more rice than you should!
This recipe for Banana Wrapped Salay-Salay Fish serves/makes: 4 servings
The Banana Wrapped Salay-Salay Fish recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered