How to cook Barbecued Garfish with Rocket
- 6 garfish, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 3 ounces rocket (arugula)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Using a sharp knife, cut the head off the garfish. Wash the belly cavities with softly running water while rubbing with fingers (bring the water to the fish - don't hold the fish under the water).
- Slice down the full length of the belly until just before the tail. remove all infected parts.
- Lay the garfish out flat, flesh side down.
- Using finger tips, gently press along backbone from head end to the tail.
- Run a knife at a 45-degree angle along each side of the backbone.
- Grasp the backbone at the head end and gently pull the bone up and away from the flesh. Trim off any of the rib bones remaining.
- Dry garfish on paper towel.
- Put flour, Parmesan, salt & pepper in a plastic bag. Shake the bag about to combine the ingredients.
- Put garfish into the bag, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- Remove garfish from bag and shake a little to remove excess flour.
- Pour a little olive oil into a shallow dish and dip garfish into oil.
- Place garfish onto a hot, well oiled BBQ plate.
- Cook for about 1 minute either side.
- Meanwhile toss rocket with olive oil. lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Place rocket onto serving platter, lay garfish on top & scatter lemon wedges around the plate.
The Barbecued Garfish with Rocket recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
Pilchards (also called sardines) or small whiting can be substituted for garfish in this recipe.
This recipe for Barbecued Garfish with Rocket serves/makes: 6
The Barbecued Garfish with Rocket recipe is adopted from The Essential Seafood Cookbook by Murdoch.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Barbecue