How to cook Bermuda Fish Chowder
- 6 cod, fillets (you can use hake, halibut, snapper, or what you have)
- 4 quarts water
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups canned Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup rich beef broth
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 ounce dark rum or sherry
- 3 whole bay leaves (remove when chowder is done)
- In a large kettle combine the fish fillets with four quarts of water, salt and pepper to taste, and the thyme, bay leaves and ground cloves.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, garlic, and green pepper.
- Cook until onions are soft.
- To this same dish add the tomatoes and their juice, beef broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the fish in the kettle.
- Stir in ketchup, parsley, Worcestershire, and lemon juice.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, rum or sherry and more black pepper if you like.
- Simmer chowder very slowly for at least 1 hour, or up to 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
This recipe for Bermuda Fish Chowder serves/makes: 10 serving
The Bermuda Fish Chowder recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew