4 - 6
How to cook Bouillabaisse (Mediterranean Soup)
- 1 to 2 fish heads
- 1 pound raw king prawns (shrimp), peeled and deveined, retain shells and heads
- 1 lobster tail, chop meat and retain shell
- 1 pound white fleshed fish, skinned and boned, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 mussels, beards removed and soaked
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small leek, finely sliced
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped, extra
- 4 cloves garlic, extra, crushed
- 4-6 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron powder
- 2 bay leaves, extra
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 inches piece orange rind
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Rouille (Spicy Sauce), see the recipe below
Rouille (Spicy Sauce) Ingredients:
- Place fish heads with prawn and lobster shells in a large pan. Add wine, water, onion, garlic and bay leaf. Bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes. Strain, reserve liquid.
- Heat oil in large pan. Add leek, extra onion, and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat 20 minutes, or until softened but not browned. Add tomato, tomato paste, saffron, bay leaves, basil, fennel seeds, rind, salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, another 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add reserved fish stock, then bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Lower heat, add fish, lobster meat and mussels. Simmer, covered, 4-5 minutes, or until mussels have opened (discard any unopened mussels). Add prawns and simmer, covered, 3-4 minutes. Discard rind and bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve the Bouillabaisse with French bread and spoonfuls of Rouille.
How to cook Rouille (Spicy Sauce)
- 4 thick slices white bread, crusts removed
- Water for soaking
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Place bread and enough water to soak in a small bowl.
- Leave 5 minutes; squeeze water from bread and place bread in food processor with garlic, chillies, yolks, salt and pepper.
- Process 20 seconds.
- With motor running, add oil in slow, steady stream.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate.
is a classic French recipe of fish and/or seafood stew from Marseilles. Rouille
is a French sauce that consists of olive oil with bread crumbs, garlic, saffron and chili peppers. It is served as a garnish with fish, fish soup and, notably, bouillabaisse. Rouille
is most often used in the cuisine of Provence.
This recipe for Bouillabaisse (Mediterranean Soup) serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Bouillabaisse (Mediterranean Soup) recipe is adopted from The Better Homes and Gardens Soups & Stews - 1978.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew