8 to 10
How to cook Bouillabaisse Stew
- 4 pounds (2 kg) really fresh spiny lobster meat (crayfish) pieces
- 26 1/2 ounces (750 g) of each of any 3 of the followings: scorpion fish, weever, whiting, gurnard, conger, dory, red gurnard, monkfish or burbot, rockfish
- 2 pounds (1 kg) really fresh mussels (optional)
- 2 pounds (1 kg) scallops (optional)
- 1 eel, cut into pieces (optional)
- Strain broth through a very fine strainer, pressing hard to extract juices.
- Pour liquid into a clean casserole bring to a boil, over high heat.
- Add spiny lobster pieces boil for 5 minutes, over really high heat.
- Add chosen fish boil for 5 minutes.
- Add mussels (if desired) and scallops boil for 5 minutes longer.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove all fish and seafood from casserole.
- Spoon into a warmed-up serving dish.
How to cook Broth
- 4 teaspoons (20 mL) olive oil
- 4 medium-size onions, minced
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) leek strips
- 10 cups (2.5 L) water or 2 cups (500 mL) dry white wine and 8 cups (2 L) water
- 2 pounds (1 kg) fish heads and bones
- 3 pounds (1.5 kg) ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) finely chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) fresh fennel or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) crushed fennel seeds
- Rind of 1 orange, cut into 3-inch (8-cm) strips
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) thyme
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) crushed saffron filament
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Rouille Sauce Ingredients:
- In a 16 to 24-cup (4 to 6-L) casserole, heat olive oil.
- Mix in minced onions and leef strips.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- Pour in water or wine and water mixture.
- Add fish heads and bones, tomatoes, garlic, fennel, orange rind, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, saffron, salt and pepper.
- Simmer over low heat, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Rouille sauce, fish and seafood.
How to cook Rouille Sauce
- 2 sweet green peppers, diced
- 2 cans sweet Spanish red peppers, drained and wiped dry
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) olive oil
- 1 to 3 teaspoons (5 to 15 mL) fesh white breadcrumbs
- 1 crushed chile(s) or a few drops Tabasco sauce
- In an 8-cup (2-L) casserole, simmer together green and red sweet peppers in boiling water, for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Drain and wipe-dry pepper pieces, using paper toweling.
- With a mortar, crush together peppers and garlic, to get a smooth paste.
- Very slowly pour in olive oil.
- Mix in enough breadcrumbs to get a thick paste.
- Taste, then season with crushed chile(s) or Tabasco sauce.
- Set aside.
To Serve Ingredients:
- 12 to 16 slices of bread, 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 1/2 ounces (125 g) grated Gruyere or Parmesan cheese, or a mixture of both
To Serve Preparation:
- Brown bread slices, sprinkled with grated cheese, in hot olive oil, heated up with garlic halves.
- Pour broth into a warmed-up soup serving bowl.
- Mix in 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 mL) Rouille sauce.
- At the table, arrange 1 slice of bread into each individual dish pour in broth.
- Arrange fish and seafood mixture on top.
- Serve remaining Rouille sauce on the side.
This recipe for Bouillabaisse Stew serves/makes: 8 to 10
The Bouillabaisse Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew