How to cook Brazilian Salt Cod with Eggs
- 1/2 pound salt cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter plus
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- Butter for ramekins
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Soak the cod in cold water to cover, changing the water several times, for 24 hours. Drain and rinse the fish. Put it into saucepan with water to cover and poach it for 15 to 20 minutes, or until it flakes easily when tested with a fork. The water should just simmer. Drain and flake the fish and set it aside.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little of the milk, add the rest of the milk, and pour the mixture into a small saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and cook, stirring, over moderate heat until the mixture is smooth and lightly thickened. Set aside.
- In another saucepan heat the 4 tablespoons of butter, add the onion, and cook, stirring for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until the mixture is thick and well blended. Stir in the Bechamel sauce and the capers. Fold in the codfish and add a little salt if necessary. Season generously with pepper. Cool slightly.
- Butter six 2/3-cup-size remekins and break an egg into each. Pour the cod fish mixture over the eggs and sprinkle each ramekin with 1/2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese. (This may also be cooked in a single shallow Pyrex dish.)
- Bake in a preheated 400°F (200°C) oven for 8 minutes.
The Brazilian Salt Cod with Eggs recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Brazilian name for this recipe is Pudim de Bacalhau com Ovos
This recipe for Brazilian Salt Cod with Eggs serves/makes: 6 remekins
The Brazilian Salt Cod with Eggs recipe is adopted from The Book of Latin American Cooking 1994.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Baked
Cuisine: South American
(more South American