How to cook Broiled Snapper Fillets and Crab Meat
- 4 fresh or frozen (thawed) red snapper fillets, about 6 to 8 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided use
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 8 strips
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 6 ounces crab meat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- Dash white pepper
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Place the snapper fillets in broiler pan, turning under thin edges to make an even thickness.
- In small saucepan, stir together 2 tablespoons of the butter, the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir until butter melts.
- Broil fish 3 to 4 inches from heat for 6-8 minutes (usually 4-6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness), basting occasionally with lemon-butter mixture.
- Add green bell pepper strips to the pan during the last 2 minutes of broiling.
- In medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Stir in flour, then half-and-half. Cook over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Add crab meat and white pepper. Spoon crab meat sauce over fillets.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Arrange 2 green bell pepper strips on top of each fillet. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture.
- Broil 1-2 minutes more or until bread crumbs are browned.
The Broiled Snapper Fillets and Crab Meat recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook. The crab meat topping makes a very rich dish, so use simpler side dishes to accompany it, such as steamed broccoli with Hollandaise sauce and boiled small new potatoes tossed with a little melted butter and parsley.
If red snapper isn't available, use lake trout, rockfish (striped bass) or whitefish.
You can substitute red or yellow bell peppers for the green.
Milk can be used instead of half-and-half, if desired.
This recipe for Broiled Snapper Fillets and Crab Meat serves/makes: 4 servings
The Broiled Snapper Fillets and Crab Meat recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Snapper
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled