6 - 8
How to cook Cabbage with Meat and Jellyfish
- 1 piece dried jellyfish, the size of a hand
- 2 chicken legs with thighs
- 6 ounces boneless pork shoulder or fresh ham
- 1 small cabbage head
- 1 small onion
- Distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (Chinese parsley)
- 5 tablespoons Nuoc Cham Sauce* (see the recipe below)
- 20 roasted peanuts pounded into coarse chunks in a mortar
- 4 ounces Shrimp Chips, to serve
Nuoc Cham Sauce Ingredients:
- Soak the jellyfish in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil. Drop in the chicken legs and pork and cook at a lively boil for 20 minutes. While the meat is cooking, remove the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard. Remove the hard seams from the remaining cabbage leaves, then shred the cabbage very fine. Slice the onion paper thin. Marinate it in distilled white vinegar for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and pork from the water. Slice the pork, then shred it into strips and add to the cabbage. Tear the chicken apart into long strips and add to the cabbage. Add the mint leaves to the cabbage.
- Remove the jellyfish from the hot water, wash, then shred, not too fine, and add to the cabbage. Remove the onion from the marinade, then add to the cabbage; add the coriander to the cabbage. Add the nuoc cham sauce to the cabbage mixture and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle the peanuts on top and serve with the shrimp chips.
How to cook Nuoc Cham Sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 fresh hot red chili pepper or 2 dried
- 2 heaping teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 fresh lime
- 2 tablespoons nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water, more if necessary
- Peel the garlic.
- Split the chili pepper down the center and remove the seeds and membrane. Cut into pieces and put into a mortar, together with the garlic and sugar.
- Pound into a paste.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the paste, then with a small knife remove the pulp from the lime section and add it as well.
- Mash this mixture and add the fish sauce and water.
The Vietnamese Cabbage with Meat and Jellyfish recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Vietnamese name for this recipe is Goi Sua Kho
is a common name for a variety of Vietnamese "dipping sauces" that are served quite frequently as condiments.
This recipe for Cabbage with Meat and Jellyfish serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Vietnamese Cabbage with Meat and Jellyfish (Goi Sua Kho) recipe is adopted from The Classic Cuisine of Vietnam by Bach Ngo 1986.
Main Ingredient: Various Seafood
(more Various Seafood
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered