6 as a first course
How to cook Cajun Baked Stuffed Crabs
- 3/4 pound fresh crab meat, thoroughly drained and picked over
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened, plus 7 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch bits
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons soft fresh crumbs made from French or Italian-type white bread, pulverized in blender
- 1/4 cup fish stock or 1/4 cup fresh or bottled clam juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, including green tops
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, preferably flat-leaf Italian variety
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 medium-sized natural or ceramic crab or scallop shells
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- With a pastry brush, spread the tablespoon of softened butter evenly over the bottoms of 6 medium-sized natural or ceramic crab or scallop shells. Combine 2 cups of the bread crumbs with the fish stock or clam broth in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- In a heavy 10-inch skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter bits over moderate heat. Add the onions and, stirring frequently, cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft and translucent, but not brown. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the moistened bread crumbs, the crab meat, scallions, parsley, red pepper and salt. Taste for seasoning.
- Spoon the crab meat mixture into the buttered shells, dividing it equally among them and slightly mounding the centers. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs and the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter bits over the tops and arrange the crab or scallop shells side by side in a large shallow baking dish.
- Bake the stuffed crabs in the upper third of the oven for 15 minutes, then slide them under the broiler for 30 seconds or so to brown the tops, if desired. Serve the Cajun Baked Stuffed Crabs at once, directly from the shells.
This recipe for Cajun Baked Stuffed Crabs serves/makes: 6 as a first course
The Cajun Baked Stuffed Crabs recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Baked