How to cook Cajun Broiled Redfish
- 6 redfish (spottail bass) fillets, about 6 ounces each, cut about 3/4-inch thick, skinned
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch bits, plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup fish stock
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped drained canned pimiento
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, preferably Italian flat-leaf parsley
- First prepare the sauce in the following manner: In a heavy 8 to 10-inch skillet, melt the butter bits over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, add the onions and garlic and, stirring frequently, cook for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft and translucent but not brown.
- Add the fish stock, green peppers, pimiento, capers, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper and salt. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the parsley and taste for seasoning. Cover the skillet tightly to keep the sauce warm while you broil the fish.
- Preheat the broiler to its highest setting. Pat the fish fillets completely dry with paper towels and brush them on both sides with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Arrange the fillets side by side on the broiler grid and broil them about 5 inches from the heat for 15 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when prodded gently with a fork.
- With a wide metal spatula, transfer the fillets to a heated platter. Reheat the sauce briefly, pour it over the broiled redfish and serve at once.
You may substitute any firm white fish fillets of comparable size.
This recipe for Cajun Broiled Redfish serves/makes: 6
The Cajun Broiled Redfish recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Bass
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled