How to cook Cajun Crawfish Pies
- 24 small crawfish tails or 12 large shrimp
- 1 (17-1/4) ounce package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry sheets
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spices (store bought or homemade, see the recipe below)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 celery stalk
Cajun Spices Ingredients:
- To prepare Cajun Vegetables: Peel, trim and finely chop the vegetables.
- Thaw pastry according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Cut crawfish tails in half. If using shrimp, peel, devein and roughly chop.
- In a small pan melt the butter; add flour and slowly cook, stirring until golden. Add Cajun vegetables and cook until tender.
- Add the drained, crushed tomatoes and Cajun spices. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened. Add a little cold water, if needed. Add the crawfish tails or shrimp to the sauce and heat gently, about 2 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Add the crawfish tails or shrimp to the sauce and heat gently, about 2 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Roll out pastry thinly and cut into twenty-four 2-1/2 inch circles. Place heaping teaspoonfuls of filling in the center of each circle.
- Moisten the edge of each pastry circle with water. Fold over and seal the edges with a fork.
- Arrange on a baking sheet. Brush the tops of each pie with beaten egg and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Serve the Cajun Crawfish Pies warm with a spicy tomato sauce.
How to cook Cajun Spices
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Mix the spices together and store in a spice jar.
The Cajun Crawfish Pies recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Cajun Crawfish Pies serves/makes: 24 pies
The Cajun Crawfish Pies recipe is adopted from The California School of Culinary Arts in Pasadena - November 8, 2005.
Main Ingredient: Crayfish
Preparation Method: Baked