10 - 12
How to cook Cajun Seafood Gumbo
- 4 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 pint oysters and oyster liquid
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 6 quarts water
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with chilies
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
- Make a dark brown roux with butter and flour; add water, bring to a boil and cook until roux is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes with chilies, celery, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Chop enough shrimp to make 1 cup and add to gumbo. Simmer on low heat for 3 hours.
- Add remaining shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes; add crab meat, oysters and oyster liquid, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the Cajun Seafood Gumbo over cooked rice in soup bowls.
The Cajun Seafood Gumbo recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
This recipe for Cajun Seafood Gumbo serves/makes: 10 - 12
The Cajun Seafood Gumbo recipe is adopted from The Cajun Cuisine - 1985.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew