4 - 6 servings
How to cook Cajun Shrimp Coubion with Fish
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound catfish, cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 3 cups red salsa*
- 1 cup hot tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- Chopped green onions to garnish
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Hot cooked rice to serve
- Hot sauce to serve
- Mix seasoning blend together and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pan over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery to pan and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Season with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend, mix well.
- Add butter and remaining olive oil to pan. Stir in flour and cook for 5 minutes to slightly brown the flour.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, and red salsa to pan. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes on low, uncovered.
- While sauce cooks, season shrimp with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend, mix well, and set aside.Season fish with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend.
- After 30 minutes increase heat to medium and add fish to sauce, cook for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley to sauce and stir gently. Cook shrimp 7 minutes.
- Serve the Coubion over hot rice, garnished with chopped green onions and parsley. Don't forget the extra hot sauce if you dare.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
The Cajun Shrimp Coubion with Fish recipe very easy to cook and so good!
Coubion is like a Cajun fish gravy.
*Red Salsa is Mexican salsa that is usually eaten with chips. I use red salsa in place of crushed tomatoes, the choice is up to you. You could also use fresh seeded chopped tomatoes.
This recipe for Cajun Shrimp Coubion with Fish serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Cajun Shrimp Coubion with Fish recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew