How to cook Cajun Shrimp Gumbo
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spices (store bought or homemade, see the recipe below)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chilies
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups seafood or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup red-brown roux
- 1 teaspoon file powder, optional
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 celery stalk
Cajun Spices Ingredients:
- To prepare Cajun Vegetables: Peel, trim and finely chop the vegetables.
- Combine okra and crushed tomatoes in a pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Cook the Cajun vegetable in butter for 2-3 minutes, add garlic and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add okra and tomato mixture to Cajun vegetables with tomato paste, Cajun spices, bay leaves, allspice, crushed red chilies, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Stir for 2 minutes. Add stock and roux and cook 15 minutes more.
- Add shrimp and simmer gently until just cooked, season to taste and stir in the file powder, if using.
How to cook Cajun Spices
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Mix the spices together and store in a spice jar.
The Cajun Shrimp Gumbo recipe easy to prepare and so good!
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
This recipe for Cajun Shrimp Gumbo serves/makes: 6
The Cajun Shrimp Gumbo recipe is adopted from The California School of Culinary Arts in Pasadena - November 8, 2005.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew