How to cook Cajun Shrimp and Okra Gumbo
- 3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 4 pounds fresh okra, cut in 1/2-inch pieces, or 5 (16-ounce) cans
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste
- In oil, cook okra, tomato and onions until okra is no longer ropey, about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Add water, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and continue to cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve the Cajun Shrimp and Okra Gumbo in soup bowls over cooked rice.
The Cajun Shrimp and Okra Gumbo recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
This recipe for Cajun Shrimp and Okra Gumbo serves/makes: 8 servings
The Cajun Shrimp and Okra Gumbo recipe is adopted from The Cajun Cuisine - 1985.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew