4 - 6
How to cook Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
- 3 cups peeled raw shrimp
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed and washed salt meat
- 1 cup plus 1 quart water
- 2 cups smoked sausage
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Gumbo File*
- Parsley, chopped, optional, optional
- Green onion tops, chopped, optional
- Hot sauce, to taste, optional
- Make a brown roux of the flour and oil. Add onions and salt meat; cook until dark brown.
- Add about 1 cup of water and the smoked sausage; cook about 1/2 hour. Add shrimp; cook about another 1/2 hour.
- Add parsley, onion tops, salt and hot sauce, if desired.
- Add 1 quart of water and bring to a boil; boil slowly for about 1/2 hour. When you turn off the heat, add the Gumbo File.
- Serve the Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo over cooked rice in soup bowls.
The Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
powder, also called Gumbo File
, is a spice made from dried and ground sassafras leaves. It is used in the making of some types of gumbo, a Creole and Cajun soup/stew. It is sprinkled sparingly over gumbo as a seasoning and a thickening agent, giving it a distinctive flavor and texture. File can provide thickening when okra is not in season.
This recipe for Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo recipe is adopted from The Cajun Cuisine - 1985.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew