How to cook Cajun Turtle Soup
- 1 pound turtle meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- 3 quarts boiling water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 whole cloves
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Sherry (optional)
- Saute turtle in butter until brown and remove from pan; add flour and stir until a dark brown roux is made.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are transparent; add tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add turtle, boiling water, thyme, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, salt, black pepper and parsley; simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Serve the Cajun Turtle Soup in soup bowls and garnish with chopped eggs, lemon slices and a splash of sherry, if desired.
The Cajun Turtle Soup recipe easy to prepare and so good!
Turtle meat is available from specialty meat and game farms. Turtle has a rich flavor and a delicate texture that is truly unique.
This recipe for Cajun Turtle Soup serves/makes: 6
The Cajun Turtle Soup recipe is adopted from The Cajun Cuisine - 1985.
Main Ingredient: Wild Game
(more Wild Game
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew