How to cook Camaron Rebosado
- 1 pound (16 - 20 pieces) large shrimp
- 1 tablespoon lemon or calamansi (Filipino lime) juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- Sweet and Sour Sauce to serve (see the recipe below)
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- Peel shells of shrimps off, leaving the tail intact. Clean black vein out.
- Peel shrimps leaving the tail sections intact. Using a knife, make a shallow incision down the back of each shrimp. Pull out intestinal tract and discard.
- In a small bowl, combine shrimp, lemon or calamansi juice, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Marinate in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together water and egg. Add flour, cornstarch and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisk together into a smooth batter.
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat about 2 inches cooking oil to a temperature of 350°F (180°C), or until a cube of stale bread browns in 1 minute.
- Drain shrimps from marinade. Holding by the tail, dip shrimps one at a time in batter to fully coat.
- Drop into the hot oil and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cook in batches as needed. With a slotted spoon, remove cooked shrimp from pan and let them sit on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve the Camaron Rebosado immediately with Sweet and Sour Sauce or banana ketchup or a mixture of soy sauce with calamansi juice.
How to cook Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons banana ketchup
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in 1 tablespoon water
- In a sauce pot, mix pineapple juice, sugar, ketchup, hot sauce and salt.
- Bring to a boil and add cornstarch mixture, thicken.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The Camaron Rebosado recipe very easy to cook and so good!
(translated in English as Overflowed Shrimp) is a seafood dish that makes use of shrimps as the primary component. Shelled shrimps are marinated in calamasi (Filipino lime) juice and dipped in a batter before deep frying. This style of cooking shrimp nearly resembles the Japanese tempura and shrimp croquettes; however, some ingredients and preparation steps vary. Fried dishes are often regarded as bland or having a very mild taste. It is usually serve with sweet and sour sauce or ketchup.
This recipe for Camaron Rebosado serves/makes: 4 servings
The Camaron Rebosado recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cook Book.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried