How to cook Canadian Cheddar Seafood Casserole
- 1 jar (10-ounce) Pacific oysters, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 pound medium shrimp (about 32), cooked, shelled, and deveined
- 7 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon each pepper and dry mustard
- 2 1/2 cups shredded medium or sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter; stir in the flour and cook until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add the milk; cook, stirring until thickened.
- Add the salt, thyme, pepper, mustard, and 2 cups of the cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Add the egg yolks and cook over low heat 3 minutes longer; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat; add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned and the liquid is evaporated.
- Add mushrooms and butter to the cheese sauce. To the frying pan, add oysters and their liquid; simmer until the edges begin to curl. Drain off liquid and stir oysters into sauce, along with the crab meat, shrimp, and lemon juice.
- Turn mixture into a 2-quart casserole; sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over top. Cover and chill if made ahead.
- Before serving, bake, uncovered, in a 375°F (190°C) oven until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through, 20 to 25 minutes (30 minutes if refrigerated).
The Canadian Cheddar Seafood Casserole recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Canadian Cheddar Seafood Casserole serves/makes: 8
The Canadian Cheddar Seafood Casserole recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Baked